On Thursday, the Cosmos invited media personnel to Shuart Stadium to view one of the final practices leading up to Sunday’s Opening Kick matchup with the Ottawa Fury. Check out some photos from the event below:
You can see more on our Smugmug gallery.
I was also able to catch up with Niko Kranjčar and Gio Savarese. Gio’s comments will be included here and in Luis’ match preview piece and a feature on Niko will come later in the week.
Some notes from the day:
- Adam Moffat appeared to be at full training capacity today. Heard from him at the Hofstra scrimmage that he’ll be “back at it” soon, and he certainly looked up to it today. Good mobility and didn’t appear to have any issues.
- Seeing Alecko Eskandarian feature at wing in practice made me wonder how far his career would have gone if he hadn’t been forced to retire. Some of his first touches were pretty special, and it was cool to see the whole staff included in the training session.
- David Ochieng is a very, VERY promising player this season. Gio mentioned how he’s still being worked in to the system and has learning to do, but his strength and positioning are very good. He even outran Yohandry Orozco for a ball, which in itself is incredible. Sad to see his blonde hair go, however.
- Andres Flores appeared limited in practice, but Gio said that the plan is to have him ready for selection come Sunday’s opener. In addition, Yasmani Duk was not present and the Cosmos are hoping to have him back in time for the opener. For more of the two international call ups of the past week, click here and here.
- It looked like former Cosmos B keeper Johnny Morales was getting reps with Kyle Zobeck, Jimmy Maurer, and Brian Holt today at practice. Makes me wonder if he will be returning to the reserves this upcoming season.