With the destiny of the NASL Spring Season title in their hands, the New York Cosmos fell to the Fort Lauderdale Strikers 2-0 on Saturday with goals from Jose Angulo and Geison Moura. This left the fate of the Spring Season to the rest of the league, bringing us back for yet another full run down of all the scenarios left as the Spring rolls into its final week.
All hope is not lost for the boys in green, as a draw by Carolina and shocking loss by Minnesota eliminated both clubs from Spring Season contention. Even more surprising was a draw by Indy Eleven in Miami, bringing the fate of the Spring Season to be brought down to goal differential. Here’s a look at the table going into the final week.
Indy Eleven, Fort Lauderdale, and Tampa Bay all stand level on 15 points with one game to play. How can each of these clubs win the Spring Season? Let’s take a look:
Note: All of these scenarios make the assumption that the two other clubs in contention failed to reach the needed goals in order to contend for the Spring Title.
1. Win by four goals over Carolina
- A four-goal victory over the Carolina RailHawks next Saturday at The Mike would give Indy 18 points (level with New York) and a +8 goal differential (New York has +7). This gives Indy the Spring Season title in an undefeated season.
2. Win by three goals, but score four against Carolina
- A hypothetical 4-1 scoreline would tie Indy and New York on points, goal differential, and goals for, sending the tie head-to-head matchups, where Indy has the edge thanks to its thrilling 2-1 victory over New York on April 16th.
- Anything less than a four goal performance coupled with a three goal margin of victory, and Indy Eleven are out of Spring Season contention.
1. Win by six goals against Jacksonville
- A six goal victory by the Rowdies Saturday at Community First Park would send them to +8 goal differential, pulling them ahead of the Cosmos and giving them the Spring Season title.
- A five goal victory ties them with New York on goal differential and goals for, sending the tie to a head-to-head column that is not in Tampa Bay’s favor.
- Anything less than five and the Rowdies falls short on goal differential.
1. Win by seven goals against Edmonton
- A seven goal victory by the Strikers in Edmonton next Sunday gives them a +8 goal differential and hands them the Spring Title over the New York Cosmos. However…
2. Win by six goals against Edmonton
- A six goal victory would tie the two clubs on goal differential, but give the goals for advantage to Fort Lauderdale 16-15. Fort Lauderdale would be Spring Season Champions.
There you have it. Next weekend will be the hunt for the golden goal differential. Will the Cosmos hold on? Will one of the teams mentioned above pull off a shock for the ages? Let us know!