The New York Pancyprian Freedoms hosted Jersey Express at Belson Stadium in a closely fought battle for the right to face the Cosmos. With few serious threats or shots on goal across the evening for both sides, a 79th minute header from Ansger Otto would be the difference maker as Jersey Express won the match 1-0. The Pancyprian Freedoms were denied a chance at extra time as one of their players was taken down in the box at stoppage time and the postgame scenes were intense as fans of the home team literally had to be pulled away from the referees.
The Cosmos will enter the tournament on June 1st, hosting Jersey Express for the second consecutive year in the same venue as last year, Belson. On the winning end of a 3-0 result last year, the Cosmos will look to duplicate last year’s success and move on to the next round and another familiar opponent.
NYCFC will host this year’s derby between the two sides, should the Cosmos advance. After some lack of clarity where the match would be hosted, TheCup.us today disclosed that Coffey Field, a 7,000 seat stadium at Fordham University, will be the location of the Round 4 match.
The derby is a rematch of last year’s, where the Cosmos overturned a 2-0 deficit with an equalizer in the 90th minute, forced the game into extra time and won it in penalty kicks to advance to a match with Red Bull.
With the road to the fifth round now laid out plainly, it’s up to the Cosmos to now focus on one thing: winning.
NASL Open Cup Rounds:
- Charleston Battery at Jacksonville Armada
- Richmond Kickers at Ft. Lauderdale Strikers
- Charlotte Independence at Carolina RailHawks
- FC Cincinnati at Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Louisville City at Indy Eleven
- Minnesota United at St. Louis FC
- Wilmington Hammerheads at Miami FC
- Oklahoma City Energy at Rayo OKC
June 15th (based on advancing):
- Orlando City at Jacksonville Armada
- Ft. Lauderdale Strikers at DC United
- New England Revolution at Carolina RailHawks
- Tampa Bay Rowdies at Columbus Crew
- Indy Eleven at Chicago Fire
- Sporting Kansas City at Minnesota United
- Miami FC at Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas at Rayo OKC